Student Appeals and Procedures
This information is an excerpt from the Student Handbook & Calendar and is part of the Code of Student Conduct.
(a) The student may appeal decision(s) of the University Hearing Board or the Student Affairs Administrator. Appeals are made to the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee.
(b) Student(s) or organization(s) may make an appeal within five (5) business days of the date notification of sanction imposed. Appeals must be in writing indicating the reason(s) for the appeal and submitted to the Student Affairs office.
(c) Appeals shall be limited to the following reasons:
1. Whether the proper procedures were followed in the hearing;
2. Whether the appropriate standard of review was used in the hearing;
3. Whether the sanction was appropriate for the violation;
4. New information, not available at the time of the original hearing, has become available which would substantially alter the outcome of the hearing.
(d) Review shall be based solely on the hearing record and the written appeal documents submitted by the student.
(e) Appellate Authority. The Vice President for Student Affairs, or designee, shall have the authority to do any of the following upon review of an appeal:
1. Uphold the finding of responsibility and sanction;
2. Uphold the finding of responsibility but adjust the sanction up or down;
3. Return the case for further consideration by the original hearing authority; or
4. Reverse the finding of responsibility.
(f) The Vice President for Student Affairs or designee shall issue a written decision within 5 (five) business days after the appeal is heard.
(g) The decision of the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee is final.